Working as a freelance graphic designer can sometimes be draining and suck the creativity out of me. I find that to-do lists stop working and I procrastinate on goals. But, here’s 5 ways I’ve found to motivate myself and start seizing the day again:
- Be positive – negativity can drain your motivation and energy. Thinking about the good which will come out of the opportunity always recharges my motivation. It also energises me to continue with my work.
- Start small – breaking down larger tasks into smaller, manageable ones always boosts my motivation. This helps me to keep moving forward and celebrate my small achievements which further increases my positivity.
- Reduce distractions – it always gets harder to focus when the phone‘s buzzing or email alerts are pinging. But when deadlines are looming, putting everything, not associated with a project, out of sight and being accountable to close ones helps me stay focused. It also allows me to regularly check my progress, so that I am not deviating from the goal.
- Be kind to yourself – it’s easy to beat yourself up if you don’t meet goals or get stuck. I’ve found that that best way to keep motivated is to be constructive. Look at the end goal and be grateful for the position you are in; for me this is being able to work from home doing a job I love.
- Declutter & mix things up – clearing up the work space can do wonders for boosting motivation. Also, changing up my schedule keeps me from getting bored and inspires me with fresh new ideas.
Until next time.